10-12 Roma or Plum tomatoes, or, 1 can of crushed plum tomatoes, @24-28oz
½ red or white onion, minced fine
cracked black pepper, to taste
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
¼ cup red wine, I prefer a Merlot, Cabernet or Shiraz
2 tblsp olive oil
salt, to taste
2 tblsp fresh basil leaves, minced
¾ tblsp fresh oregano leaves, minced, preferably Greek
1 ½ tblsp fresh marjoram leaves, minced, minced ½ tblsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tblsp Parmigiana Reggiano cheese, grated
If you're using fresh whole tomatoes, here's what you do:
- Cut the core out the stem area of each tomato [How to Link]
- Score the bottom of the tomato with a sharp knife in the shape of an X [How to Link]
- In a pot of boiling water, drop the tomatoes in for 15-45 seconds
- You will know when they are ready to come out because the skin will split where you scored them
- Remove from the hot water and place in an ice bath, which is a large bowl or sink filled with ice and cold water
- After 30 seconds or so, peel the skin from the tomatoes, throw the peels away
- Now chop the tomatoes into small ¼ inch chunks, like a large salsa cut
- Hold tomatoes in a non-reactive bowl, like a glass bowl
If you are using the canned crushed tomatoes, here's what you do: open the can.
Lets get this sauce cooking! In a large skillet or pot, on medium heat, add &frac; your olive oil, let it warm up, then add your chopped onions, simmer until they are translucent, about 5-8 minutes, add the other 1 tblsp olive oil, let warm then add the minced garlic, stir and cook for about 1 minute.
Do not let your garlic get browned! At this point add in your tomato product, juice and all.
Now pour in the ¼ cup of wine over the sauteed onions and garlic. Give it a stir and add in your fresh spices, basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, rosemary and marjoram. Stir well. Add in your rind of Parmigiano Reggiano or your fresh grated cheese. Stir and let simmer on low heat until the tomatoes break down and are virtually mush. About 20 minutes or so.
Have a taste. Need salt? Yup, add in a small amount at first, perhaps a tsp. Taste again. adjust salt if necessary. Add some fresh cracked black pepper if you desire.
If you used the cheese rind, remove it now and serve over fresh hot pasta or use with a delicious lasagna!